Monday 30 August 2010

Using a glut of cucumbers - Part 1

A glut of cucumbers is a new one for me - I don't normally do that well! Much as I like a pile of thinly sliced cucumber with a sprinkling of salt and a grind of black pepper it doesn't use them up particularly quickly!

My first glut-busting recipe will transport you to the late 70s - I give you Salmon & Cucumber Mousse!

Flake 8oz salmon into a bowl (for that 70s vibe I used canned red, but fresh is lovely) and season well with salt, pepper and plenty of dill - fresh or dried whatever you have.

Fold in 5floz of whipped cream.

Roughly chop half a long cuc or a whole small one and then blitz in a blender or processor until you've got a finely chopped cucumber! Stir into the salmon and check the seasoning again - it should taste fresh and summery, you may need more salt, or a squirt of lemon juice to bring the flavours out fully.

Dissolve half an ounce (1 envelope) of gelatine in 2floz of hot water until completely clear. Stir well into the salmon and cucumber mixture, then pour the whole lot into a mould, bowl or tin and leave to set in the fridge.

Mine's ready and waiting for tomorrow's supper - I'll add pics then!

1 comment:

Auntie Noo said...

ooh Salmon and cucumber is my favourite sandwich. I wonder if i'd like this? WOn't be trying it this year tho' cos I didn't grown Cucumber!! ;)